Saturday, August 30, 2008

Summer's almost over

I'm going to keep this blog going. SketchUp will stay a prevelent topic, as well as other geeky things, but quite possibly also things going on in my life, like that whole college thing. Yeah, that.

After pledging my loyalty to Google, or maybe visiting, I've become an active user of most products, including Google Docs (which I'll get to later) that I never figured I'd actually use. I now use Google Maps as opposed to Mapquest, but there's one problem. Google Maps isn't a verb. (I use the word "verb" loosely. "to google" has only recently become acceptable, as has "to wikipedia.") You can't really say, "I'm going to Google Maps this," or "I'll Google Map it." Those phrases seem just too long. The problem here is that you can say "I'm gonna Mapquest it." Since "to mapquest" is taking on the meaning "to get directions," I worry that Mapquest will gain advertising from this word-of-mouth usage. If there's any solution at all, when you want to make it clear that you are going to get directions using Google Maps, my proposition is: "I'm gonna G-Map it."

Staying on the subject of Google, I'll talk about my newfound usage for Google Docs. Well, first of all, I've never really been a fan. Putting my all of my documents online takes faith. Maybe I'm a negative nancy, but I always think of the worst situations first: a need for documents without web access, Google crashes, I get hacked... all problems that I could theoretically face by using Google Docs as my sole location for storage. [And yes, Google Docs offers offline backups, but still, I can't be sure if that version is the most recent or whatnot.]

There is, in fact, a use for Google Documents for everyone. Wether it's planning a meeting, comparing notes, or working on projects. Here's mine, and it echos so much of what my life revolves aroud these days: College essays.
Google Docs is the perfect location for such files. I always have revision history and I can allow teachers, parents, or college advisors to be collaborators. Sure, commenting features have been around in local programs such as Microsoft Word, but that requires emailing back and forth, back and forth, and being unsure about which version is the most current.

That's all for now. School begins [for seniors] on Tuesday.

_andrew

No comments: