Monday, September 15, 2008

Reflection: Opening Ceremonies

School's been in full swing (and by full swing, I mean moving at the speed of light) for a little over a week now. This past Friday, however, the [almost] entire school gathered for one of my favorite traditions of the year, the Opening Ceremonies (Pre-K was not present this year.)

Maybe I've progressively begun to enjoy this ceremony more as I've gotten older because I've gotten closer and closer in age to the people who take part, but it's one of the traditions during which the entire school takes part.

Over the course of 20 minutes, the band performs a few songs, our Headmaster speaks, the President of the Student Body speaks, and the 12th Grade Class Officers present the Class Flag.

Being the President of the 12th Grade, a position I was running for (Post: What A Day) when I began this blog, it was my job to unfurl the flag that the officers and I designed over the summer. I was asked to introduce them and the flag, something I had not been expecting to do, but happily did anyway.

I remarked to a teacher, a few days ago, how I remember my first Opening Ceremonies. I was in Mr. Brockman's kindergarten class. It's one of my most fond memories, mostly because of that visual component, the flag of the Class Of 1996. It was with this memory in mind that I worked to design the Class of 2009 Flag as one that the kindergarden class will remember when they graduate in 2021. Our design was simple and classic, and I couldn't be more thrilled with how it came out.

Normally, the President and Vice President of the class unfold the flag, an awkward and drawn out experience for the nearly 1,000 students, faculty, and staff in the audience. This year, I had two goals for the unveiling: I wanted all four of the Officers involved, and I wanted to do away with the unfolding process. Having the flag already unfolded and placed along a step below the stage allowed all four of us to take part, making a true spectacle of the event.

The flag of the Class of 2009 is now a memory, etched right beside that 1995 Opening Ceremony unveiling...




_andrew

No comments: